Sunday 7 March 2010

No Legs Hero: Ill go back to Battle Zone

By ALASTAIR TAYLOR
Published: The Sun 06 Mar 2010

BRAVE James Simpson wants to return to fight in Afghanistan - despite a bomb taking both his legs and part of a hand.

Lance Corporal James, 23, is already walking on prosthetic legs ahead of schedule.
And yesterday he told of his wish to rejoin his comrades on the front line. James, of Guiseley, West Yorks, said: "I love Afghanistan and I would go back tomorrow.

"I enjoy being a soldier. Just because of my injuries my life is not over. It's a new challenge. I am the same person. I lost my legs but I haven't lost my marbles."

James, who met Prince Harry during operations in Afghanistan but didn't recognise him, had a royal reunion at the England-Wales rugby match at Twickenham last month.

He was horrifically injured when a bomb exploded while on patrol last November. His life was saved by colleagues. But James then had to come to terms with losing his limbs and battle an infection because the bomb was smeared with human faeces by the Taliban.

The sniper for First Battalion Yorkshire Regiment had set himself the target of his 24th birthday in July to be walking again. He has also found love with long-standing friend Hannah Naughton, 23. Romance blossomed when she began visiting him during his recovery.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2880984/No-legs-hero-Ill-go-back-to-battle-zone.html#ixzz0hmtkHu0e

Posted by: Michelle Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment